Saturday, October 28, 2006

DSA and Gantt charts

So, I think I have almost covered the first-year Data Structures and Algorithms part in a third-year module. (I mean, the absolutely essential part. Sorting is n log n, etc etc. They will never know what a "binary search tree" is.) Sometimes I don't really understand their math thinking. OK you don't know geometric series, or have forgotten logarithms, or never really know what is induction. But given the recurrence T(n) = 2 T(n/2) + 1, say, isn't it "immediately obvious" that T(n/2) = 2 T(n/4) + 1?

On a completely unrelated thing, in final year projects, I think I have seen 10 different spellings of "Gantt chart"...

2 comments:

hkeric said...

Students are forgetful?

spyfung said...

Well I think I'm more forgetful... in replying, until now...