Thursday, October 06, 2005

accommodation, and where to buy things

I am currently living in a student hall called Opal Court. I am in the better rooms where basically it is like a hotel room with a shared kitchen.

While I was checking in for that I met a student from Hong Kong - we stared at each other for quite a while before she finally whispered "香港黎架?". She said she's from HKU software engineering and she recognises me. I suppose that means she's not my student. I didn't recognize her, though. We ended the conversation with the very "hong for" sentence "let's contact later" when we don't really have contacts of each other. So, 尋人啓事: if anyone knows how to contact her please tell me.

In Tuesday afternoon I got out to walk around. I've heard about Queen's Road which is not far away from the university, and there are some cheap stores. There are also some lettings agencies, but I didn't go inside them yet. I don't really know when I should start finding accommodation... I don't have much time, they booked Opal Court for 2 months for me, and next week I will be out to Italy for a conference...

In Wednesday after school Shengxiang got me to a Chinese grocery store, not far away from where I'm currently living. Actually I heard about it and know where it is, but didn't have the time to really go there. My only worry about it was removed when I know that the shop owners speak Cantonese... I bought some rice, 出前一丁 and other things...

5 comments:

Johnny said...

正, 出前一丁 XO 醬海鮮麵加黃芽白配幾粒魚蛋, 天下美食莫過於此, welcome to my world!

Anonymous said...

Hi Professor,

How come your life is like a graduate student? You should enjoy your life by buying a house and a BMW.

-Anonymous

spyfung said...

First, lecturer, not professor. Second, you are absolutely right of course - why should one go to that far away, earning so little income, leading the life of a poor graduate student? For what? I just can't stop asking that to myself these days...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lecturer,

Being a lecturer is an honor, and that's why you're in the UK now. Is Leicester City still in the Premier League?

-Anonymous

spyfung said...

It isn't. I don't really recall when and how it disappeared from the Premier League. Actually, should it never appeared in the Premier League, I would not be here...